Matching a betterment of a regrade-scarred intersection

June 14, 2018 - photo frame

MAY WE NOTE initial a happy fluke — instructive, too — between this week’s “Then” and “Now” photos?

Jean Sherrard has carried his Nikon to a awaiting above a southwest dilemma of Third Avenue and Madison Street that seems to resemble a betterment reached about a century ago by a historical, nonetheless unnamed, “Then” photographer. Jean has extended his pole-mounted camera into a section of beyond wires that competence resemble — for you, too? — that surreal impulse when a booster Cassini upheld by a Rings of Saturn.

In fact, Jean’s camera paused for his “click” within a few inches of a path of 112 years ago, before a Third Avenue regrade cut 17 feet from a intersection. Before a cutting, handle cars on Madison Street climbed a third-steepest class in a cable-car attention here between Second and Third avenues.

The intersection’s severe northeast kitty-corner still shows a scars left by a low grading along Third and Madison about 10 years before a “Then” print was available circa 1916.

From 1890 until a drop in 1906 by regrades, this northeast dilemma was a home of “polite vaudeville,” with a “family formula” featuring acts “without booze, peanuts or catcalls.” Here a scarred dilemma has been terraced for and sealed by a Hopkins Nursery, maybe a British-born Thomas Hopkins, who, with his sons, after ran an award-winning and permanent hothouse in Bothell.

To this side of a terraced hothouse sits a nifty two-door strew during a corner. It promotes itself as a “union shop” that cleans, shines and dyes “ladies and gents shoes,” and also sells, cleans, presses and reblocks men’s hats.

The largest pointer stranded in a mud above a dilemma strew reads, in part, “For Lease or Owners Will Build.” Soon a easterly side of Third Avenue between Madison and Spring streets was propitious with an array of single-story section storefronts, popularly called “Real Estate Row.”

All a path shops were propitious with skylights of a same arrange and distance — during slightest 10 of them. Behind a sell “row” was one of cars, parked west of an alley using a block. East of a alley and adult a mountain were a dual landmark buildings stuffing most of a frame: On a right is a Lincoln Hotel, built in 1899 and broken by glow in 1920. Left of core stands a Elks Club, dedicated in 1914 and sole to Seafirst Bank in 1958 for a contingent building of a dim glass-curtain tower, dedicated in 1968.

Far left and confronting Fourth Avenue a half-block north, a Independent Telephone Co. finished a photo’s support on a left. It assimilated a prohibited early 20th-century foe to handle a city with write lines. Erected in 1902, a building’s “most engaging part,” The Times reported, was a petrify floors and partitions. It was “a underline never before employed in a construction of any other building in Seattle.”

small.wp_rp_excerpt { line-height:115%; font-style:normal; } .related_post_title { } ul.related_post { line-height:120%; } ul.related_post li { list-style-type:none; clear:both; margin:0 0 0 3px; } ul.related_post li a { font-weight: bold; display:block; margin:0 0 5px 0; } ul.related_post li a:hover { text-decoration:underline; } ul.related_post li A img { width:130px; height:auto; } https://www.seattletimes.com/pacific-nw-magazine/matching-the-elevation-of-regrade-scarred-intersection/

More frame ...

› tags: photo frame /